Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What is it with 10?



Okay okay. Why the number 10 is my favourite? To be honest, it is not because ‘10’ is the date I was born. Neither because the number is reserved for the greatest player in a team like Pele, Maradona, Zidane or even the footballer whom I had a crush when I was in high school. I often heard that ‘10’ is a favourite number of many people. I have a friend who also likes this number. I have no idea why is that for her.


Ten or dix (deece) in French, or ‘asyarah in Arabic. There’s an idea implied by this number that is seemed could be interpreted into something meaningful from my perspective. I love the idea of generalization that I could see from him. Yes. To me, ‘10’ is a ‘he’. Don’t you think so?


To me, ‘10’ is perfect. It is a complete pair with a holistic definition. In life, everything is created in pairs like Adam and Eve, Ying and Yang, black and white, spoon and fork and whatnot. That is the first idea that I could see from ‘10’. The digit ‘1’ is paired up with ‘0’ into a number – 10. ‘10’ is a simplest pair of digits.


Secondly, ‘10’ represents the idea of comparison. ‘1’ is a straight line that could start from A to B, or an infinity that will never meet the starting point (A). Whilst ‘0’ can also be said as infinity but it runs in the same circulation again and again that passes through the starting point. 1 is a straight line and 0 is the curvy one.


Next is about the shape. ‘1’ is like a solid structure that no hollow space can be filled. Meanwhile ‘0’ is a build that has an empty space to be stuffed in the middle. ‘1’ is solid and ‘0’ is hollow.Besides, it also shows the thin and the fat. We usually show a sign using the pinky finger to say someone is stick thin and blown up gesture for fat. ‘1’ is stick thin and ‘0’ is round fat.


Hurmm..


Okay. Another idea that I could see from this number is about value. We usually have this specific rank from the least to the most. The least usually starts from ‘1’. Before the least, ‘none’ takes place first in which is the ‘0’. Value starts with ‘1’, and ‘0’ shows no value.


See? That is why I like the number 10. 10 shows the simplest general ideas about life. And just so that you know, there were several weird occurrences with me and number 10. There was a time where my bus number is 10 and so did my seat number. When I went to interview to enroll this TESL program, my turn was 10! And lots more that I can’t recall.


Actually, it is a well- known fact to some friends that I have weird images of numbers. Or I shall say, creative? I see number 2 as a delicate figure, 3 as a retarded, 4 as a relaxed figure where he crossed one of his legs, 5 as arrogant like it pulls the face a bit upwards, 6 as a hunch back, 7 as robust, 8 as funny and cute (for this number, try to shape an 8 using your own body and look into the mirror.. There) and finally 9, same as 6. Or if you write your 9 with the round and a stick figure, it’ll look like a seductive, voluptuous lady the Betty Boob- like. 0? 0 is simple and surprised.


There. I wish I were good with numbers. But giving them weird images is all I can do.


Well, Happy 23rd birthday to me! :D

No comments: