Tuesday, November 4, 2008

baking time!!

Today is my 4th sister's 28th birthday. Her name is Wan Haryati binti Wan MohdHussin. The family call her Tetty. And I, just finished baking her a chocolate cake!! yeay! it has been aeons since my last baking and the last cake that i baked was so humiliating! haha! maybe because i did it half-heartedly so I miss mixed some ingredients. I think it was the baking powder because my cake was so dry, too spongy and kinda hollow; and I didn't even want to eat it! lol! by the way, let me share my chocolate cake recipe with you guys =D



these are the ingredients that we need:

4 oz. butter (it is equal to that one bar /250g)
1 1/2 cup of Castor sugar
2 eggs
1 tbs. of vanilla essence
5 oz. flour
1 2/3 cup of cocoa powder
1 tsp. of baking powder
1 1/2 cup of fresh milk
lime juice (just squeeze half of the lime into the milk) this is to make your cake moist.
* seize the flour together with cocoa powder and baking powder

how to do it?
  1. Beat butter and Castor sugar until it is fluffy. you can know it is fluffy when it becomes slightly white.
  2. Add in the eggs and beat it again until it is well mixed
  3. Add in the vanilla essence. This is to make our cake smells nice =)
  4. Mix it well.
  5. Add in the flour occasionally until finish. Do not put on your mixture at a high level. It will make the texture hard and of course hard cake. Mix well.
  6. Pour in the fresh milk and mix it until the mixture become soft and thick.
  7. Taadaaaa!!! you've done mixing the cake. Now, pour the mixture into the greased tray. Bake you cake at the temperature of 180 degree. it will take around 80 minutes. check your cake regularly by sticking in a sharp knife or stick. when it comes out clean, your cake is done!
*make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature*

if you want to add in some Hershey's or chocolate chips or anything, you can mix it before you pour the mixture into the tray. =)

for the frosting, you can use cooking chocolate. double boil the chocolate at your desire. And add on 1tbs. of butter so that you'll get a shiny topping.
or, if you do not have cooking chocolate, you can have another type of topping.

here are the ingredients:

1 1/2 cup butter
3 tbs water
3 1/2 cup of icing sugar
1/2 cup of cocoa powder

First, melt the butter on a slow heat. pour in icing sugar. stir and never stop stirring. in the other container, dissolve the cocoa powder with 3tbs. of water, or maybe you can spoon in some of the melted mixture to help. pour it into the mixture on the slow heat. Stir it untill all the ingredients are mixed well and cooked. tadaa!
You can decorate your topping as your desire! It is easy! But make sure the cake is cool before you cover it with your creamy topping.

Or you can always go to the supermarket to get the instant cake mixture! I've tried once and it's yummy!


the result. my nude cake. fresh from the oven! it is cracked that much in the center because i poked it so many time to make sure it is well cooked. hehs! when it is cool, I'm gonna put beautiful clothes on her with the cooking chocolate topping!

Mixing the cake will take you around 20 -30 minutes if you have all the ingredients ready. e.g. you seize the flour before you start mixing. When i was a kid, i was a big fan of Chef Wan (i still am). I never missed his cooking show especially during Hari Raya season. I still remember he said that when we mix our cake, make it one way so that the cake will come out beautiful. And, the higher you seize the flour, the lighter the cake will be. And oh, one tip from Chef Ismail, after you pour the mixture into the tray, give a light knock to the tray so that all the air inside the mixture will go out and you'll get a solid cake. haha!
I wanted to be a chef when i was a kid. Back then, whenever mi sister was baking a cake, I would snog to her hoping that she would let me mixed it. But instead of mixing, i went to cleaning all the tools that had been used! But i think it was a good training. Like in a kung fu movie, before you get to practice on the skills, you'll have to carry buckets full of water and run and what's not kan. So maybe that's the way. haha!

so, selamat mencuba! and Practice makes perfect. That's why my previous cake was a failure. It was after a year of my time not baking any. And i hope this one will come out gorgeous! huhu~

Add Image
recipe book that we live by. it keeps my ugly handwriting when i was 5. i copied down the recipes from cooking shows. for my mom. all my sisters done this and that was my turn!

* i forgot to get another recipe from my friend. haiseh! i think i should try that recipe too! =)


I wish i had the Electrolux mixer and the oven!

No comments: