Friday, February 13, 2009

the education

well, we have an appoinment and mrs. supervisor was not in her room. *sigh*

I waited for about half an hour and not to forget, I rushed there so that I won't reach there on time. I want to be there by the time because I don't believe in what people say, "janji Melayu". I am not that type. even though sometimes I do come late to classes, but when time has been set as in a pledge, appointment, promise etc, I would try my best to be there by the time or at least on time, sharp. but of course there would be something comes out when we did not expect it like traffic jams or yang sewaktu dengannye. but that is uncontrollable. our ethics is controllable. and by the way, what the hell I am blabbering here whilst I want to talk about something else? but nevermind, that is one good point to ponder upon tho. and in fact I am not angry with Mrs. Supervisor.

but, when she said in her text message:

"meeting at 3"

does it mean that she will be having a meeting at 3? or she's okay to meet me at 3?

because before that I texted her:

"salam, puan. can I see you around 3 this evening? are you available?"
and then she replied me,after a few hours, "meeting at 3". my reply was, "ok. tq puan. see you".

okay, if she's having a meeting at 3, once she received my reply, she would have told me that no, I can't see her, she has a meeting. but she did not reply me back after that. did I misinterpret her message?? I think I did. Because just now, I went down to see my classmate to get the thumbdrive I lent her. and she said my supervisor is having a like a meeting in the other lecturer's room. aiyaiyaiyai! and she said my supervisor looked some how kinda busy and going to a seminar, I don't know. so technically, there was actually no appointment!

since the new semester reopened, I haven't seen her for consultation to show my progress. but when I want to show it, she was not there. I know that is my fault.
but i am kind of upset as I need to get approved as soon as possible so that I could finish my case study by the time I graduated. I don't want to extend for one more semester merely because of this tideous acedemic exercise.

*jump*


about my research, I am doing a topic on co-curricular activities in Malaysian school. how co-curricular activitirs help in producing holistic individuals as aimed by the ministry of education. many parents today, that I know of, do not really encourage their children to get involved in co-curricular activities in school. they are against this in issues of financial, time for academic, and the children time to rest. as in schools, some teachers do not take co-curricular activities seriously as they are so busy with other works that you know, teachers nowadays are not just teaching. they have to do paperworks, kursus, and what not. and even though there are time provided by school specifically for co-curricular activities, teachers are yet to take actions. I am yet into real world of teaching profession. my 3 months of teaching practicum is not sufficient for me to talk more about this. even though through out my teaching experience, I would say yes, teachers got lots of works to do. for the morning session where school ends at 1pm or 2pm, sometimes teachers need to stay back to complete the report cards, the co-curriculum cards, perparing the exam papers, the PIBG paperworks, preparing for tomorrow lessons and what not. that is so much tiring. but I remember one of the teacher in the school where I was assigned, she was a former Bank officer. after a few years working at the bank, she couldn't stand the work pressure and sort of. she then applied for the KPLI and now has been teaching for about 2-3 years. and she told me, "teaching is the less-stressful job you can have. if you think teaching is tiring, I think working at the bank is worse". I came into the conclusion in which, I would say, teaching profession is no easy task like many people would clarify, it is as challenging as other professions. it is challenging. but it is more trickier as it deals with humans, not machine. it plays with the human's psychology and attitudes and emotions, in which I think is so damn tideous!

and by the way, my point is about the co-curricular activities. I think in order to produce a holistic individual, co-curricular activities is vital as we do not learn surviving skills in the classroom, in our curriculum. it is needed as an additional input for the students' interpersonal skills and also the intrapersonal. in the classroom, the things that we learn is merely on books, theories, and a minor input of practicality. as in co-curricular activities, we got the chance to go for a camping, having an events and what not, you name it from your own experience. we mingle with the whole school members, not only our classmates. it helps in boosting our self-confidence and teaching us to have a good interpersonal skills.
about time constrain, by having both curricular and co-curricular activites, students will learn to manage their time carefully. tution?? that is the thing that I think hinders all these from happening. parents are fostering too much on the academic that schooling hours are just not enough. it is like they want them to sleep books, eat books, dream books, talk books and all books. oh, this is the other thing that i would like to ponder upon. later.

what about the students who are bright, have brilliant ideas, so genius but he/she doesn't have the interpersonal and the intrapersonal skills that they can obtain from the so called tiring-wasting money-useless- co-curricular activites? we are too exam-oriented that everything is measured by examinations. it is expected that we have a brain like a super-computer that can keeps and memorizes everything. but computer is emotionless, feelingless. it is nothing but an intelligent machine. compare book-smarts and street-smarts. i'd rather be a street-smart with a book in hand. you got my point, i suppose.

actually I am pro co-curricular activities in school and get upset when i read the email sent by a mother in the star online (click). it is not that I choose co-curricular activities over curriculum. but I think that co-curricular activities are as a complementary to the system. we can not abolish it as a whole. we can have an optimum time for that students need to have not only materials to be written in the examination papers, but also for their life time preparations.

for more points, go to

idea


it seems like educational issues is my team mate now. next, I'm having a presentation for my current issues in education class. PPSMI is the topic. to be honest, the system now is a MESS.

No comments: